Beef ‘n’ Pepper Bread Slices
Margaret Pache's festive French bread slices topped with roast beef, red peppers and melted cheese are simple to make and a breeze for guests to handle. They remain a holiday hit with family and friends in Mesa, Arizona.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups shredded cooked roast beef
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, halved lengthwise
- 1 jar (7-1/4 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Spread over cut sides of bread. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Top with roasted peppers; sprinkle with cheese and parsley.
- Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted. Cut into slices. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 318 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 508mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Margaret's Beef Appetizer in Simple & Delicious November/December 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.