Beef ‘n’ Eggplant Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + standing
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups cubed eggplant
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a small skillet, melt butter. Add eggplant; saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, celery and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the eggplant, tomato sauce, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- Prick pastry shell with a fork. Add beef mixture. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 368 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 857mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Jan 16, 2015
Listened to some of the others and did not use a pie crust and just a put in a casserole....oh no did not have the celery so cut up a fresh carrot from the garden, added celery seed and yum. This is amazing will try with celery next but this was good. Simple and healthy.
Aug 16, 2013
INSTEAD OF PUTTING THIS IN A PIE CRUST I PUT IT IN A CASSEROLE THEN YOU CAN REHEAT IT VERY WELL. ALSO LESS CALORIES. I JUST LOVE THIS RECIPE. I MAKE THIS A LOT. I FREEZE EGGPLANT TO MAKE IT IN THE WINTER.donalee2
Aug 16, 2013
INSTEAD OF PUTTING THIS IN A PIE CRUST I PUT IT IN A CASSEROLE THEN YOU CAN REHEAT IT VERY WELL. ALSO LESS CALORIES. I JUST LOVE THIS RECIPE. donalee2
Jan 30, 2012
I used ground turkey instead of the beef other wise I followed the recips. It was very good.
Jul 24, 2011
I just wanted to make a note that this recipe really does not reheat well at all since the crust becomes soggy from the eggplant. Next time I'll be sure to invite company for dinner so we don't have leftovers.
Jul 18, 2011
I could eat the eggplant sauteed in butter all by itself, but once it's mixed with the rest of the ingredients, it's more palatable for those who aren't wild about it.
Apr 10, 2010
My 15 year old son really like it before he found out it had eggplant in it! Now he wouldn't admit it. The whole family gobbled it up.
Oct 13, 2009
This is really an easy recipe and my family loved it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.