Beef ‘n’ Egg Pockets
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Cover and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato, egg, salt and pepper.
- Roll out pastry into an 18x9-in. rectangle; cut into 3-in. squares. Place a rounded tablespoonful of filling in the center of each square. Fold in half, forming triangles; crimp edges to seal. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 301 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 408mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Aug 14, 2014
I just followed the pastry recipe and made mini pizzas. I used white whole wheat flour and added 1 1/2 tsp of gluten. I also added some garlic and oregano. After they came out of the oven I brushed them with butter. They were amazing!!! Very flaky and delicious! I wouldn't do them for pizza again, but definitely with scrambled eggs and cheese!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.