Beef ‘n’ Egg Pockets
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Cover and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato, egg, salt and pepper.
- Roll out pastry into an 18x9-in. rectangle; cut into 3-in. squares. Place a rounded tablespoonful of filling in the center of each square. Fold in half, forming triangles; crimp edges to seal. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 301 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 408mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 14, 2014
I just followed the pastry recipe and made mini pizzas. I used white whole wheat flour and added 1 1/2 tsp of gluten. I also added some garlic and oregano. After they came out of the oven I brushed them with butter. They were amazing!!! Very flaky and delicious! I wouldn't do them for pizza again, but definitely with scrambled eggs and cheese!