Beef ‘n’ Cheese Braid
I love to experiment with foods and baking, and I thought that by putting beef and cheese in the middle of bread it would taste like a sub sandwich - and it does! The recipe may sound complicated, but it's actually easy to make.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 2-3/4 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded dried beef
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Soften 2 tablespoons butter; add to yeast mixture with 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and egg; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine the beef, cheese and basil; set aside. Punch dough down. Roll into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Cut dough lengthwise into three 12-in. x 3-in. strips. Melt remaining butter; brush some over strips.
- Divide beef mixture in thirds and sprinkle down the center of each strip. Bring lengthwise edges together and pinch to seal, forming a rope. Place on a greased baking sheet, seam side down. Secure one end and braid the ropes together; secure other end. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with remaining melted butter. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Slice and serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 131 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 239mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Beef 'n' Cheese Braid in Country Extra May 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips