Beef ‘N’ Black-Eyed Pea Salad
"When I want a light yet hearty meal, I fix this refreshing main-dish salad," says Bonnie Wittekind of Higley, Arizona. "My husband loves the beef and the zippy flavor. As a busy mom, I appreciate that it doesn't take long to put this entree on the table.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 12 ounces beef top sirloin steak
- 8 cups torn romaine
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine garlic and chili powder; rub over both sides of steak. Lightly oil the grill rack. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- When cool enough to handle, slice meat across the grain into thin strips; place in a large bowl. Add the romaine, peas, red pepper, olives, chilies, onions and cilantro. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to coat.