Beef ‘n’ Bean Starter
Nancy Ware of Enon, Ohio uses her slow cooker to prepare this hearty beef and bean mixture, then divides it into two freezer bags. When you're racing against the clock, pull a bag of starter from the freezer to fix Beef 'n' Bean Tortellini Soup or Beef 'n' Bean Chili (also found in Recipe Finder).
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with garlic and onions, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until beef is tender. Cool.
- Transfer 4 cups to each of two freezer bags or freezer-safe containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 78 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 205mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Beef 'n' Bean Starter in Quick Cooking January/February 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips