Beef ‘n’ Bacon Lo Mein
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/2 pound beef flank steak, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup fresh cauliflowerets
- 1 medium carrot, cut into thin 2-inch strips
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 pound thin spaghetti, cooked and drained
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. Discard drippings. In the same skillet, stir-fry beef in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink, about 2 minutes. Remove beef and pan juices; keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute the broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, onion and ginger in remaining oil for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, water chestnuts and garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Dissolve bouillon in boiling water; stir into vegetables.
- Stir in soy sauce and beef with pan juices. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in bacon and spaghetti.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 556 calories, 22g fat (6g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 1862mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 27g protein.
Jul 26, 2015
Very flavorful! We really liked it!
Aug 26, 2011
This recipe is one of our family's favorites for special occasions, although it is relatively quick to prepare. To save time, I buy the broccoli & cauliflower pieces already prepared from the grocery store. I also substitute 1/2 tsp. ground ginger for the gingerroot. I also use round steak instead of flank steak because I need to double the recipe to feed my family of 8, plus my children's friends who appear whenever we are having this for supper!