- 2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon caraway seeds
- Sour cream
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook and stir the beef, onion and green pepper in oil until meat is browned on all sides; drain. Stir in the next 10 ingredients. bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and caraway seeds. Cover and simmer 25-30 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaves. Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forBeef Goulash Soup
"This was not bad, tasty enough, but not particularly exciting. I swapped smoked paprika for the regular paprika, so I didn't find it flavorless like the previous reviewer."
"Sorry to say we thought this had too much tomato and needed some additional flavor."