Beef Chili Pie
I love to experiment with recipes to see what I can come up with, and my husband is a willing guinea pig. He and I both called this one a success.—Trish Houff, Winchester, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Dash ground cinnamon
- Dash ground cloves
- 2 to 4 tablespoons brown sugar, optional
- 1/2 cup mashed potato flakes
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 cups shredded lettuce, divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- In a skillet, cook beef and green pepper over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the beans, tomatoes, water, onion, chili powder, cinnamon and cloves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar. Simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed; stir in potato flakes.
- Meanwhile, on a floured surface, roll one portion of pastry to fit the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Transfer pastry to dish; trim edges. Sprinkle lettuce and 1/2 cup cheese over crust. Top with half of the beef mixture and 3/4 cup cheese, then remaining beef mixture and cheese. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of dish. Place over filling. Trim edges; seal with a fork. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with remaining lettuce.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 569 calories, 32g fat (16g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 632mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Beef Chili Pie in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.