Beef Cabbage Stromboli Recipe
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Place each frozen loaf in a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Let rise until dough is 1 in. above top of pan. In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add cabbage, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and thyme. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender; drain.
- 2. Punch dough down. Place each loaf on an ungreased baking sheet; pat into a 16-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spoon meat mixture lengthwise down one side of each rectangle to within 1 in. of edges. Sprinkle with cheeses. Fold dough over filling; turn edges under to seal. With a sharp knife, make four diagonal slashes on top of loaves. Bake at 375° for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 2 loaves (6 servings each).
1 slice: 367 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 672mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.