Beef Cabbage Stromboli
I served this hearty loaf to hungry workers who helped my husband and I move to our new house. It really satisfied their appetites.—Pamela Courtney, Des Moines, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 loaves (6 servings each)
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Place each frozen loaf in a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Let rise until dough is 1 in. above top of pan. In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add cabbage, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and thyme. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender; drain.
- Punch dough down. Place each loaf on an ungreased baking sheet; pat into a 16x10-in. rectangle. Spoon meat mixture lengthwise down one side of each rectangle to within 1 in. of edges. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Fold dough over filling; turn edges under to seal. With a sharp knife, make four diagonal slashes on top of loaves. Bake at 375° for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 367 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 672mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Beef Cabbage Stromboli in Country Woman September/October 2001