Beef Cabbage Stir-Fry
Cabbage, which is grown extensively in this area, is a favorite of my family. I've had this recipe for years, and my husband and kids still request it often.—Colette Jaworski, Buford, Georgia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 can (14 ounces) bean sprouts, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry cabbage in oil until cabbage begins to soften. Add beef; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add the onions and celery; stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the bean sprouts, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, broth and soy sauce until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and vegetables are tender. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 242 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 682mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Beef Cabbage Stir-Fry in Taste of Home October/November 2001