This is one of my favorite meals since I don't have to stand over the stove or dirty a lot of pots and pans to prepare it. With six in the family, we have enough dishes to wash after each meal!
Recommended: 21 Healthy Fall Stews to Warm Up Cold Nights
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- Salt to taste
- In a Dutch oven, brown stew meat; drain. Meanwhile, dissolve bouillon cubes in water; add to beef. Stir in the onion, pepper and bay leaf. Cover; simmer 1-1/4 hours or until tender.
- Add the potatoes, celery, cabbage and carrot. Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomato sauce and salt. Simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes more. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Beef Cabbage Stew in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p62
Reviews forBeef Cabbage Stew
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 28, 2012
"How do they figure it only takes 5 minutes PREP? THAT IS RIDICULOUS! Barely time to even cut up the beef and get it in the pan."