Beef Cabbage Soup
I make this good hearty soup with chunks of beef often during fall and winter. The cabbage-sauerkraut is a nice combination and provides an interesting texture.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 3-3/4 hours
Makes12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 beef roast (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 pounds cabbage, shredded
- 1 pound sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large kettle, brown met in oil on both sides. Add onion, carrots, celery, tomatoes, salt, pepper, dill seed, parsley and enough water to cover. Cook, covered, about 2 hours. In a large skillet, saute cabbage, sauerkraut and garlic in butter until cabbage is wilted. Add cabbage mixture to meat. Simmer, covered, 1-1/2 hours. Remove meat and cut into bite-size pieces; return to kettle and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 183 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 923mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Peasant Soup in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips