Beef Cabbage Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook cabbage in boiling water just until outer leaves pull away easily from head. Set aside 8 large leaves for rolls. Refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use. Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
- In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion until tender. In a large bowl, combine the rice, onion, egg whites, currants, pine nuts, lemon juice, oregano, pepper, salt and cinnamon. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Place about 1/3 cup beef mixture on each cabbage leaf. Fold in sides, beginning from the cut end. Roll up completely to enclose filling. Place seam side down in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar and thyme; pour over rolls.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until cabbage is tender and a thermometer reads 160°. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until sauce reaches desired consistency.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 335 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Jan 14, 2011
I made these cabbage rolls for my husband and I, and we both loved them! The spices add such a unique flavor, and the combination of sweet and tangy is just right. My mother in law was looking for a cabbage roll recipe as well to try on a Polish friend who claimed his halupkis were the best. He agreed that this recipe won, hands down.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.