Birthday parties back home were big gatherings of cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents and anyone else we considered family. As soon as guests arrived, hot pans of shredded brisket, or carne deshebrada, appeared, along with huge bowls of salads, frijoles, tostadas and salsas. Brisket was the dish we always counted on because it could be made in the oven or a slow cooker. —Yvette Marquez, Littleton, Colorado Muy Bueno Recipes + Stories
Recommended: The Best BBQ Recipes Across America
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 cup brisket marinade sauce or liquid smoke plus 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds), fat trimmed
- 20 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- Shredded cheddar cheese, media crema table cream, fresh cilantro leaves, thinly sliced green onions, avocado slices and salsa, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first five ingredients. Add brisket; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer brisket and marinade to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until tender, 8-10 hours. Remove meat; discard bay leaves. Reserve juices in slow cooker. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks. Return to slow cooker.
- Using tongs, serve shredded brisket in tortillas. Add toppings as desired.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture and juices in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Beef Brisket Tacos in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2017, p22