- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 5 cups water
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, thyme, basil and parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain. Add the water, carrots, celery, onion, tomatoes, tomato paste, bouillon and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Stir in barley; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until barley is tender. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews forBeef Barley Soup with Veggies
"This was a great recipe that went together easily and made plenty to have on hand for leftovers. The only ingredient adjustments I made, since my cut of beef was more than 2 lbs., were to add 2 extra cups of water and use the whole can (6 oz) of tomato paste. I also added a little more pepper for extra flavor."
"I thought this was very good. I used the whole 6 oz can of tomato paste, but otherwise followed the recipe."
"I didn't have barley on hand so I used lentils. I also threw in about a cup of frozen corn. Delicious - and great for those days I want stew but didn't plan far enough ahead for a crockpot recipe."
"Every fall I reach for my old standby soup recipes. Yesterday I reached for my dependable Taste of Home cookbook and found this recipe. I had the ingredients so gave it a try.Rave reviews! I made a couple adjustments:I like a thicker broth so sprinkled 1/4 cup flour to the meat after it was browned instead of draining those drippings full of flavor. I also added 2 tablespoons of vegetable bouillon instead of beef.I froze 3 quarts for my husband I to pull out when we want a fresh bowl of soup; gave one quart to a neighbor and had the rest for dinner."
"This is very good but I did some changes. I have found to buy cheaper it is simple cooking barley (not fast) and working perfect to cook it first in a rice maker (1 cup / 4 water), turned very good. And I think need add 1 tablespoon tomato paste instead of two because for me it is little bit sour with 2. And I didn`t put diced tomatoes. It is very good to add little bit sugar when you use tomato paste it is always winning combination."
"Really, really good. My son, who is very picky, had 4 helpings. Only thing I did different was I couldn't find quick-cooking barley, so I used regular and added it at the beginning with all of the veggies."
"I made this soup and we enjoyed it so much I am making it again.....I added the whole can of tomato paste (Hunt's small one) and added half a bag of frozen mixed vegetables. I didn't have any thyme but other than that I left it alone. Good golly, it was delicious and easy. This one is a keeper for us!!!!!!"
"It was good, but to much spice. I doubled the recipe and don't think I should have doubled the spices. It was a little much. The family thought so too."