“This is my mom's recipe. My family loves it and so does everyone else who tries it.” With its great tomato flavor, so will you! Barbara Kemmer - Rohnert Park, California
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen beef tortellini
- Place 2 tablespoons flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a nonstick Dutch oven, brown beef in 2 teaspoons butter; remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute the onion, celery and carrot in remaining butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, broth, 1 cup water, thyme, pepper, salt and reserved beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add tortellini; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until tender.
- Combine remaining flour and water until smooth. Stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Originally published as Beef and Tortellini Soup in Healthy Cooking February/March 2009, p42
Reviews forBeef and Tortellini Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 2, 2011
"This was an instant hit, there were no leftovers. Thanks for a great recipe!"
Reviewed Nov. 6, 2010
"Very good. All of my family enjoyed it!"
Reviewed Aug. 23, 2010
"Delicious! I use cheese tortellini sometimes."