Beef and Pepper Medley
For a meaty dish that packs as much visual punch as it does flavor, try this refreshing salad. Colorful peppers and onion add crunch, and the dressing is tangy. I created the recipe myself. -Dean Schrock, Jacksonville, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 1 eye of round beef roast (about 4 pounds)
- 2 large green peppers, julienned
- 2 large sweet red peppers, julienned
- 2 large sweet onions, cut into thin wedges
- 2/3 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine garlic powder and pepper; rub over all sides of roast. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Preheat oven to 500°.
- Place roast in oven and reduce heat to 350°. Bake for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness. Chill for 30-40 minutes or until meat is cool enough to handle.
- Cut into 3x1/4x1/4-in. strips. Place in a large salad bowl; add peppers and onions.
- In a jar with tight-fitting lid, combine dressing ingredients ; cover and shake well. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate over night. Serve cold.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 210 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Originally published as Beef and Pepper Medley in Taste of Home October/November 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.