Beef and Pepper Kabobs
I've traveled to many different countries and am always on the lookout for cookbooks. I adapted this recipe from a Turkish cookbook and it brings rave reviews whenever I serve it. I usually serve the kabobs with rice pilaf and a tossed salad.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 each medium sweet green, yellow, orange and red peppers
- In a large heavy-duty resealable plastic bag, combine the lemon juice, oil, onion, thyme, salt and pepper. Add meat; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Cut peppers into 1-in. squares and thread onto metal or soaked wooden skewers alternately with meat.
- Grill over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until the meat reaches desired doneness, turning often.
Editor's Note: Boneless lamb can be substituted for the beef.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 200 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 196mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Beef and Pepper Kabobs in Country Extra May 1995