- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes (about 6 medium), cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup french-fried onions
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, until tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with mushrooms and onion over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes; drain. Stir in flour, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt until blended. Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain potatoes; return to pan. Mash potatoes to desired consistency, adding butter, cream and the remaining salt and pepper. Spoon into bowls; top with beef mixture. Sprinkle with fried onions. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forBeef and Mushrooms with Smashed Potatoes
"Incredibly bland and uninteresting. I tried doctoring it with carrots and green beans, herbs and garlic powder and still it couldn't save this dish. Pass."
"My daughter and I liked it a lot! But it seemed to be a little bland? Had to add a lot more spices, is it just me?"
"Could you use another choice of meat for this recipe, beef tips, etc???"
"This is perfect comfort food. I did cook the mushrooms separately like it says in the tips and I really recommend that."