I was inspired to make this recipe after I couldn't stop thinking of a similar dish served in my elementary school cafeteria more than 50 years ago! I like that it's quick to make, and everyone from my husband to my grandchildren just love it. —Ronna Farley, Rockville, Maryland
Recommended: Your October Meal Plan
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes (about 6 medium), cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup french-fried onions
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, until tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with mushrooms and onion over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes; drain. Stir in flour, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt until blended. Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain potatoes; return to pan. Mash potatoes to desired consistency, adding butter, cream and the remaining salt and pepper. Spoon into bowls; top with beef mixture. Sprinkle with fried onions. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Beef and Mushrooms with Smashed Potatoes in Simple & Delicious October/November 2017
Reviews forBeef and Mushrooms with Smashed Potatoes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 20, 2017
"This is perfect comfort food. I did cook the mushrooms separately like it says in the tips and I really recommend that."