Beef and Bean Stew
A large bowl of this stew on a chilly autumn day will quickly warm you up. It's great with a thick slice of homemade bread.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, paprika, salt and cayenne. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown beef in 2 tablespoons oil. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onions in the remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add the water, tomato paste, sage and thyme. Return beef to pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add more water if needed. Stir in beans. Cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until meat is tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 364 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 462mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 33g protein.
Originally published as Beef and Bean Stew in Country Extra November 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.