Beef and Bean Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
Makes10 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- In a Dutch oven, cook ground beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In the same pan, brown steak in oil on all sides. Add the mushrooms, zucchini and garlic; saute until mushrooms are tender. Drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, light red kidney beans, black beans, water, seasonings and ground beef mixture.
- In a small bowl, mash 1/2 cup dark red kidney beans with a fork. Stir into chili. Add remaining kidney beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Uncover; simmer 20 minutes longer or until slightly thickened and meat is tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 290 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 766mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 10g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 29, 2013
NEED TO TRY YET
Dec 7, 2010
Didn't add cumin. Quartered zucchini and won't add stew meat next time. Overall, an excellent recipe!
Sep 17, 2010
I have already made this recipe once and my husband and family loved it! I also added sausage to it. I am already planning on making it again tonight.