Beef and Barley Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour 50 min.
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef in oil until meat is no longer pink. Add the carrots, onion and celery; cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cook 1 minute longer. Add the mushrooms, stewed tomatoes, water, wine, broth, bay leaves, salt, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add barley; cover and simmer 45 minutes longer or until barley and meat are tender.
- Combine flour and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Discard bay leaves. Stir in balsamic vinegar just before serving. Sprinkle each serving with parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 209 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 541mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 14g protein.
Jan 18, 2011
My family did not go for this recipe. I did change it up a little and used a crockpot, didn't want to be tied to the stove all day. The vinegar was over powering, I used 1 1/2 Tablespoons.
Nov 5, 2009
I made this stew on a cool fall evening for my husband and myself and we both loved it! I was happy it made enough for leftovers. The meat was so tender and the vegetables were perfect. The wine and vinegar added a wonderful flavor. My husband said it was the best beef stew he ever had!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.