- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pound beef short ribs
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, with liquid, chopped
- 2 quarts water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- In a large Dutch oven or kettle, heat oil over medium-high. Brown beef. Add onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 2 hours or until beef is tender. Add barley; simmer another 50-60 minutes or until the barley is done. Yield: 10-12 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forBeef and Barley Soup
"OK recipe. High in cholesterol per the nutritional calculator I had analyze it."
"I haven't made the soup yet just found it on while roaming but it does sound good other than the tomatoes myself and husband and 4 sons do not like tomatoes and i was just woundering if it had a tomatoe taste to it cause if so it would be a waste for me to make just asking? thanks"
"The genius of this recipe lies in the bone-in short ribs, I refer to as flavor missiles. The chicken bullion granules boiled with the ribs makes for a amazing broth. Unlike the previous reviews I added the entire 28oz of tomatoes. In fact I added 2 tbls of tomato paste to give it a nice deep rich base. FANTASTIC flavor. a tsp of basil, tyme, and oregano for personal touch and I'm telling you. Excellent soup!"
"Good Fall soup :)"
"I WISH SOME ONE WOULD ADD THE NUTRITIONAL FACTS TO THIS soup, BUT CHANCES ARE I'LL MAKE IT ANYWAY. IT SOUNDS SOOOOOO GOOD."
"My family liked the soup, but they thought it had too many tomatoes. Next time I will use a 14.5 oz. can and not the 28 oz. can. Also, my husband recommending adding more barley."