I retired after teaching for 20 years. I have always loved cooking, and now I have more time to prepare special dishes for my husband and four grandsons, and also for church suppers. This recipe is my own invention.
Recommended: Spring-ish Recipes to Make In April
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup white wine or white wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2-1/2 pounds sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin strips
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cooked rice
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Pour half of the marinade in a large resealable plastic bag; add beef; seal and refrigerate for 2 hour or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and reserve marinade from beef. In a large skillet or wok, brown meat in oil. Add reserved marinade. Cover and simmer 5-10 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Add asparagus; cook 2 minutes. Add the onion, green pepper and mushrooms. Mix beef broth and cornstarch; gradually add to skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes until thickened and vegetables are tender. Serve with rice. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Beef and Asparagus Skillet Dinner in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p67