Beef and Asparagus Skillet Dinner
I retired after teaching for 20 years. I have always loved cooking, and now I have more time to prepare special dishes for my husband and four grandsons, and also for church suppers. This recipe is my own invention.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Cook: 25 min.
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup white wine or white wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2-1/2 pounds sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin strips
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cooked rice
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Pour half of the marinade in a large resealable plastic bag; add beef; seal and refrigerate for 2 hour or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and reserve marinade from beef. In a large skillet or wok, brown meat in oil. Add reserved marinade. Cover and simmer 5-10 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Add asparagus; cook 2 minutes. Add the onion, green pepper and mushrooms. Mix beef broth and cornstarch; gradually add to skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes until thickened and vegetables are tender. Serve with rice.
Originally published as Beef and Asparagus Skillet Dinner in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips