Beef 'n' Bean Torta Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Salsa, sour cream, shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes, optional
- 1. Cut four 20-in. x 3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on the bottom and up the sides of a 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, olives, chili powder, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Spoon about 1-2/3 cups into prepared slow cooker; top with one tortilla and 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layers three times.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Using foil strips as handles, remove the tortilla stack to a platter. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with salsa, sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 piece: 555 calories, 24g fat (11g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 1365mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 36g protein.
Reviews for Beef 'n' Bean Torta
"This was so easy to throw together. I loved the flavors! It makes a nice, hearty meal. I add some jalapeno rings to the top. If I made it again, I might throw in a can of chopped green chiles. I think it would be great with corn tortillas."
"This recipe will be one of my favorites. Simple to make, simple to change up if you like. I added a bit more cheese. I was surprised how easy those foil strips made it to remove it from the crock pot. I didn't have heavy duty foil, so I just doubled up my regular foil. You could also use ground turkey for a healthier recipe"
"Great recipe. I subbed corn tortillas for the flour as I didn't have any. This made it more tamale flavor this way."
"This recipe is most excellent! We use chicken and garlic salt in ours and omit the hot sauce, which adds a little more flavor in our opinion."
"A favorite in our busy home! Even my 3 year old loves it, and he doesn't like meat normally!"
"Excellent recipe! I used homemade refried beans in place of the beans. Thanks for sharing."
"i don't layer it as directed--its great in tortillas rolled up or just scoopful on plate and eat with doritos or tostidos--"
"This recipe sounds so yummy! I am going to try it this week!"
"This recipe has become a family favorite. Everyone enjoys it time and time again!"