- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/2 pound beef flank steak, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup cauliflowerets
- 1 medium carrot, cut into thin 2-inch strips
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 pound thin spaghetti, cooked and drained
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. Discard drippings. In the same skillet, stir-fry beef in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink, about 2 minutes. Remove beef and pan juices; keep warm.
- In the skillet, saute broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, onion, garlic and ginger in remaining oil for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and water chestnuts; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Dissolve bouillon in boiling water; stir into vegetables.
- Stir in soy sauce and beef with pan juices. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in bacon and spaghetti. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forBeef 'n' Bacon Lo Mein
"Very flavorful! We really liked it!"
"This recipe is one of our family's favorites for special occasions, although it is relatively quick to prepare. To save time, I buy the broccoli & cauliflower pieces already prepared from the grocery store. I also substitute 1/2 tsp. ground ginger for the gingerroot. I also use round steak instead of flank steak because I need to double the recipe to feed my family of 8, plus my children's friends who appear whenever we are having this for supper!"