- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup chopped peeled turnip
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until heated through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forBeef & Vegetable Soup
"The beer taste was too strong."
"I used an Orange Blossom Cream Ale because that was what we had in the fridge. I also added a cup of frozen peas and a cup of frozen corn. Coarsely chopped the onion, carrots and celery in the food processor and added oregano. It had a very sweet flavor to the broth. I also used ground turkey. This is a keeper. Serve with yeast rolls to soak up the broth and it's devine!"
"This recipe was very tasty and my husband is not allowed tomato or tomato products so this was great."