- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5-3/4 to 6-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter or margarine
- In a large mixing bowl, combine boiling water and oats; cool to lukewarm (110° to 115°). Meanwhile, dissolve yeast in warm water; stir into oat mixture. Add the eggs, molasses, oil, sugar and salt. Add enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Divide into 36 pieces and shape into rolls. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes. Brush with butter. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forBeautiful Brown Rolls
"I've rated this recipe in the past, but I can't rave enough about these rolls. They are just awesome. They've become a holiday tradition. My family would be very upset if I didn't make these. On Thanksgiving I shape them into smaller dinner rolls then make larger ones also because they're great for sandwiches with leftover turkey or ham. The only thing I do different is I always have to add extra flour to get it to hold together just right, but they still come out soft and fluffy and oh so yummy."