Beans and Barley Chili
Most folks have heard of barley soup, but this barley chili takes them by surprise. My variation features a delectable combination of beans and seasonings.—Gail Applegate, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cook barley according to package directions; drain. In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil for 5 minutes. Add barley and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 198 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 461mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Originally published as Beans and Barley Chili in Country Woman January/February 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.