Bean Vegetable Chili
Because it is so hearty, no one misses the meat in this chili. Both family and friends ask me to make it often.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes9 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (8 ounces) picante sauce
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- In a Dutch oven, saute the zucchini, green pepper, onion, carrots, celery and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in tomatoes, picante sauce, bouillon and cumin; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans and olives; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 211 calories, 8g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 647mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 7g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 lean meat.
Originally published as Vegetable Bean Chili in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Second Edition