Bean Soup with Cheddar Cornmeal Dumplings
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup fresh baby carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1/3 cup self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in the beans, broth and salsa. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until reduced slightly.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and salt. Stir in milk and cheese just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering soup.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering).
Nutrition Facts1 each: 383 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 1506mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 10g fiber), 18g protein.
Nov 22, 2008
Excellent recipe, made with ingredients on-hand, came together quickly, inexpensive, and high fiber. For the salsa, I used a chipolte salsa which added lots of"kick".
Sep 16, 2008
I added a bit of cumin just to add a bit of flavor.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.