Bean Soup with Cheddar Cornmeal Dumplings
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup fresh baby carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1/3 cup self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in the beans, broth and salsa. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until reduced slightly.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and salt. Stir in milk and cheese just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering soup.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering).
Nutrition Facts1 each: 383 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 1506mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 10g fiber), 18g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 22, 2008
Excellent recipe, made with ingredients on-hand, came together quickly, inexpensive, and high fiber. For the salsa, I used a chipolte salsa which added lots of"kick".
Sep 16, 2008
I added a bit of cumin just to add a bit of flavor.