VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- BEAN MIX:
- 1 cup each dried yellow split peas, green split peas, lentils, medium pearl barley, black-eyed peas, small lima beans, navy beans, great northern beans and pinto beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine bean mix ingredients. Divide into six batches, 1-1/2 cups each. Store in airtight containers in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 9 cups of mix (six batches of soup-each batch makes 2-1/2 quarts and serves 8-10).
- To make one batch of soup: Place 1-1/2 cups bean mix in a Dutch oven; cover with water by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 1 hour. Drain, discarding liquid. Return beans to kettle; add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Add the onion, carrot, chili powder, salt, pepper and cloves. Return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Add sausage, tomatoes and lemon juice; simmer 15-20 minutes longer. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Bean Soup Mix in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1997, p45
Reviews forBean Soup Mix
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 12, 2013