Bean Soup Mix
An attractive bag of this savory mix makes a tasteful gift for a teacher or co-worker— remember to attach the soup recipe with a decorative ribbon or cord.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2 hours 35 min. + standing
- BEAN MIX:
- 1 cup each dried yellow split peas, green split peas, lentils, medium pearl barley, black-eyed peas, small lima beans, navy beans, great northern beans and pinto beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine bean mix ingredients. Divide into six batches, 1-1/2 cups each. Store in airtight containers in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 9 cups of mix (six batches of soup-each batch makes 2-1/2 quarts and serves 8-10).
- To make one batch of soup: Place 1-1/2 cups bean mix in a Dutch oven; cover with water by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 1 hour. Drain, discarding liquid. Return beans to kettle; add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Add the onion, carrot, chili powder, salt, pepper and cloves. Return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Add sausage, tomatoes and lemon juice; simmer 15-20 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 196 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 664mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 8g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Bean Soup Mix in Country Woman Christmas 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.