I made this colorful, robust stew often when our three kids were living at home. Since it calls for lots of canned vegetables, it stirs up in a jiffy. It's versatile, too-you can substitute cubed turkey, chicken, ham or beef for the sausage. Plus, you can replace the beans with other vegetables of your choice.
Recommended: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound smoked sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) lima beans, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Heat through. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Sausage Bean Stew in Quick Cooking September/October 1998, p31
Reviews forBean Sausage Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 29, 2015
"thought this was a very good recipe cooked it up today for relatives they loved it!"
Reviewed Feb. 27, 2015
"This was ok. Not really a soup though."
Reviewed Mar. 26, 2014