"My husband and I created this recipe to use up vegetables from our garden; now we make it monthly," relates Susan Dippel of Macomb, Michigan. "You can use any vegetables you have on hand and adjust the seasonings to your liking. Serve it as a main dish or an appetizer."
Recommended: 10 Easy Dinners Kids Can Help Make
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet yellow or orange pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- Mash beans until almost smooth; spread over two tortillas. Layer each with salsa, yellow pepper, jalapeno, garlic, cheese, pepper sauce and cilantro. Top with remaining tortillas.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut each quesadilla into four wedges. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Bean Quesadillas in Taste of Home December/January 2008, p57