Bean ‘n’ Burger Pockets
This recipe started out as an alternative to baked beans—just for a change of taste. One day I decided to add ground beef an other ingredients, and not it's a main dish we enjoy often. —Gwen Parsons, Boring, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 1 hour 5 min.
- 1-1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon each dried thyme, savory, marjoram, oregano and parsley flakes
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 pita breads, halved
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, garlic, brown sugar and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beans; heat through. Spoon about 1/2 cup into each pita half. Top with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 534 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 1301mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 8g fiber), 37g protein.
Originally published as Bean 'n' Burger Pockets in Taste of Home February/March 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips