Bean Counter Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and celery flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender; Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomato; simmer for 5 minutes. Add the broth, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes. Add beans and macaroni; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 105 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 19, 2017
I've made this several times. It is kind of like eating pinto beans and macaroni with tomatoes all in one pot. I started using a can of diced tomatoes instead of the chopped tomato and it works very well plus it gives more liquid since the macaroni absorbs it quickly. I also like fried salmon patties with it. Yum.
Jun 7, 2016
This is in our regular rotation. I make it about once a month.. It's quite good and very inexpensive. I withhold the macaroni and cook it separately so I can save the leftovers without the pasta getting mushy.
Nov 11, 2014
This is a simple recipe and easy to make. I suggest adding more onion and tomato. I probably won't make it again.
Jul 27, 2013
Great recipe! Pottsy was concerned about flavor - cook your own beans with ham hock, drain and use them as you would the canned ones.
Dec 4, 2012
The recipe was very simple to make and was very tasty. I made double the liquid because there wasn't enough for my liking and I know this was healthy but I added 1/4 cup of real bacon bits for my husband.
Oct 31, 2011
This was really good but does need just a bit more something in the line of flavor. I will definitely make it again and will experiment with different options. My daughter and grand-daughter liked it also. My 18 month old grand-daughter liked picking the beans out and eating them by themselves.
Jan 10, 2011
Hubby and I thought this was very good. The only thing I changed was to add 1 stalk of chopped celery in place of the celery flakes. It added a little crunch. This will be made again.
Nov 1, 2010
Good soup, fast and easy to make.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.