Bean & Beef Slow-Cooked Chili
This chili may be loaded, but we love to build it up even more with toppings like pico de gallo, red onion, cilantro and cheese. —Mallory Lynch, Madison, Wisconsin
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional toppings: sour cream, chopped red onion and minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- 2. Transfer beef mixture to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Drain one can of tomatoes, discarding liquid; add to slow cooker. Stir in beans, chili powder, cumin, salt and remaining tomatoes. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours to allow flavors to blend.
- 3. Mash beans to desired consistency. Serve with toppings as desired.
- 4. Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nov 21, 2018Overall this is a good chili recipe. The bean to beef ratio was a bit high and I thought it could use a tad more spice but those adjustments are easy enough to make.
Dec 16, 2017
Very flavorful chili. Since it is just my husband and me I halved the recipe. Nice blend of spice but not too spicy.
May 25, 2016
My wife says this is as good as my best chili. Great use of the slow cooker, a few minutes prep and off it goes.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC