Bean Beef Burgers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Spinach leaves, sliced red onion and tomato
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in bulgur. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. In a food processor, combine the beans, onions, mustard and garlic. Cover and pulse until blended. Stir in salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, bulgur and bean mixture. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook patties in oil in batches for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Serve on buns with spinach, onion and tomato.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 307 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 517mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 6, 2011
Not only did my burgers completely fall apart when I made them, but they had very little flavor.
Jan 19, 2010
I thought the flavor of the burgers was really good - and very easy to prepare. But they totally fell apart when we ate them - ended up having to use a fork.