Bean Beef Burgers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Spinach leaves, sliced red onion and tomato
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in bulgur. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. In a food processor, combine the beans, onions, mustard and garlic. Cover and pulse until blended. Stir in salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, bulgur and bean mixture. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook patties in oil in batches for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Serve on buns with spinach, onion and tomato.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 307 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 517mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Feb 6, 2011
Not only did my burgers completely fall apart when I made them, but they had very little flavor.
Jan 19, 2010
I thought the flavor of the burgers was really good - and very easy to prepare. But they totally fell apart when we ate them - ended up having to use a fork.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.