“My family loves this meatless dish because it tastes so good, but I love how simple and quick it is to prepare in the microwave,” shares Alicia Luttrell of Mobile, Alabama. The satisfying dish features veggies and an extra bit of fiber, so it will fill up your family in no time.
Recommended: Top 10 Mexican Dinner Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- In a small microwave-safe dish, combine onion and peppers. Cover and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Drain; stir in tomato.
- Spread refried beans down the center of each tortilla. Top with pepper mixture and cheeses. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up.
- Place four burritos in a shallow microwave-safe dish; cover and microwave at 70% power for 4-6 minutes or until heated through. Repeat with remaining burritos. Serve with salsa and sour cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Bean 'n' Pepper Burritos in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p27