Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Optional toppings: tomato slices, lettuce leaves and additional barbecue sauce
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sliced onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, chopped onion, barbecue sauce, garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 4-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve on buns with cooked onions and, if desired, optional toppings. Freeze option: Place patties on a plastic wrap-lined baking sheet; wrap and freeze until firm. Remove from pan and transfer to a resealable plastic freezer bag; return to freezer. To use, prepare sliced onions. Grill frozen patties as directed, increasing time as necessary for a thermometer to read 160°. Serve on buns with toppings.
Nutrition Facts1 burger (calculated without optional toppings): 341 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 634mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 18, 2017
awsome reciepes..loved it ....plz share more....food reviewFOR MORE FOOD :- http://justinreviews.org/food/
May 17, 2014
Knowing that most ground beef needs an egg in the mix to hold it together, I added that to the bowl first, and mixed in the other ingredients, along with a small handful of breadcrumbs... so they did not fall apart while cooking. The flavor of this burger depends entirely on what kind of barbecue sauce you use, so select one that you know you will like. As a volunteer field editor, I recommend this recipe for its simplicity, and good taste.
May 4, 2014
Very good taste, but the meat didn't hold together very well.