BBQ Spiced Ketchup
I once bought my ketchup-loving husband a bottle of flavored ketchup from a fancy kitchen stores; he loved his gift, but I didn’t love the price. So I experimented and came up with my own spiced ketchup, and now my husband and I are both happy! I kept two half-pint jars in my refrigerator without processing because I knew we would go through them fast—and we did! —Nancy Murphy, Mount Dora, Florida
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Process: 20 min.
- 4 cups ketchup
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until mixture is thickened, 25-30 minutes.
- Ladle hot mixture into five hot 1/2-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 20 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Editor’s Note: The processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 37 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 370mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as BBQ Spiced Ketchup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.