I once bought my ketchup-loving husband a bottle of flavored ketchup from a fancy kitchen stores; he loved his gift, but I didn’t love the price! So I experimented and came up with my own spiced ketchup, and now my husband and I are both happy! I kept two 1/2-pint jars in my refrigerator without processing because I knew we would go through them fast—and we did! —Nancy Murphy, Mount Dora, Florida
Recommended: Food Gifts for Dad
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups ketchup
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until mixture is thickened, about 25-30 min.
- Ladle hot mixture into five hot 1/2-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 20 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 5 half-pints.
Originally published as BBQ Spiced Ketchup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2018