BBQ Chicken & Smoked Sausage
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 4 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 1 package (12 ounces) smoked sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- Sliced seeded jalapeno pepper, optional
- Place first 5 ingredients in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker; top with barbecue sauce. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads at least 170°-175°, 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken, sausage and vegetables from slow cooker; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve chicken, sausage and vegetables with sauce. If desired, top with jalapeno.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 331 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 840mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 19, 2019
We really enjoyed this. I added a little more BBQ sauce than the recipe called for. The chicken did not suffer from the dryness that so many slow cooker chicken recipes seem to have -- not sure if it was the sauce or just that the chicken was still on the bone, but the flavor held up well.
May 13, 2018
Very tender meat, but the sauce was lacking.
Mar 14, 2018
Overall, this was a delicious meal. The chicken thighs are fall-off-the-bone tender. The only criticism I have is that the sauce seems to lose a little of its "punch" in the cooking so you may need to pour a little sauce (the remaining sauce in the bottle) on top of the finished dish for added flavor.
Aug 15, 2017
This was great. I halved the recipe for the two of us, using only two thighs, which was plenty. I used my small, 2-1/2 quart slow cooker and served the meal directly from it because my husband didn't want to wait any longer after getting a whiff of his dinner. You'd better believe I'll be making this again!