BBQ Chicken Grits Bites
I love grits and barbecued chicken, so I decided to combine them into a jaunty appetizer. You can also use shredded pork instead of chicken. —Jamie Jones, Madison, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1-1/2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 30 mini-muffin cups.
- In a large saucepan, bring milk to a boil. Slowly stir in grits, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in half of the cheese. Spoon 1 tablespoon mixture into each prepared muffin cup.
- In a bowl, mix preserves and barbecue sauce; toss with chicken. Spoon about 1 teaspoon chicken mixture into each cup; press lightly into grits.
- Bake until heated through, 15-20 minutes. Top with remaining cheese; sprinkle with green onions. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 56 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Goat Cheese and Apricot Barbecue Chicken in Grits Tarts in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017