- 4-1/2 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 large red onion, sliced into thick rings
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) honey barbecue sauce
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke, optional
- 10 medium potatoes, baked
- Crumbled blue cheese and chopped green onions, optional
- Place chicken in a greased 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker; sprinkle with garlic powder and top with onion. Combine the barbecue sauce, salad dressing, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and Liquid Smoke if desired; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender.
- When cool enough to handle, remove chicken from bones; discard bones and onion. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred meat and return to slow cooker; heat through. Serve over potatoes with blue cheese and green onions if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forBBQ Chicken Baked Potatoes
"I have made this twice halving the recipe each time and cooking in a 4 qt. slow cooker. The first time I could not shred the meat very well and chopped it up. It was too mushy and didn't seem to have much flavor. The second time I made it I shredded the meat and put back in the slow cooker as stated, but let it sit in the cooking juices (unskimmed) for a couple of hours. I really liked it this time and served with mozzarella cheese."
"I made this for dinner last night and everyone really liked it. I skipped the liquid smoke because I'm not a fan of that flavor, but having had it the dish, I think it definitely would enhance the flavor. I may just add a lesser amount of the liquid smoke than the recipe suggests. I found it really sweet, perhaps if I used the liquid smoke that would have cut some of the sweetness. I know I will make this again. If I make it without the liquid smoke, I will cut the brown sugar to 1/4C. I will leave the sugar as is if I use the liquid smoke. Overall, really good!"
"Not a very memorable recipe. We tried this three weeks ago and other then thinking it was okay and average I can honestly not remember a thing about it. Definitely not one my family will be repeating."
"My family and I love this recipe. I make it so often that I have the recipe memorized. Makes plenty of leftovers. I don't use the liquid smoke and I cut down on the brown sugar (1/4 cup) since the honey BBQ sauce I use is plenty sweet."
"This is a fantastic and easy meal for a large group. We love to offer a potato bar for a large group with this as the star topping. People really seem to enjoy it!"
"Haven't tried this yet but from the other comments it sounds very good. I see others using boneless chicken. I think using boneless is not as good, there is much flavor lost without the bone, especially in slow cooked meats. It may be easier but is it worth it? Also some have changed so much it isn't even the same recipe. I will make exactly like stated the first time.There seems to be a lot of sodium and carbs, but after trying it this way I can always adjust the recipe. Anything in moderation is OK once in a while."
"I'm always looking for ways to dress my baked potato that are tasty and don't kill it with too many calories. Personally, I'm not a fan of the liquid smoke and blue cheese, so I leave that out. A little aged gouda or gruyere are a nice alternative to cheddar. I agree that using boneless chicken is much easier, but overall this is an easy and delicious recipe!"
"This was so yummy! I used boneless chicken (much easier than bone in!) and red wine vinegar instead of the Worcestershire sauce, and skipped the red onion, liquid smoke and scallions. Also subbed shredded cheddar for the blue cheese. It was delicious!!!!"
"Very yummy BBQ with just the right seasonings & leftovers heat up nicely. Also so easy all my kids can make it!!"
"My family just raves about this recipe. I used chicken breast instead of with the bone. Absolutely fabulous! Takes absolutely no time at all! This recipe takes all of 5 minutes to combine and another 5 minutes to shred! Thanks Taste of Home for yet another winner!"