To me, bread pudding is the epitome of comfort food and it's simply too good to reserve only for dessert. This sweet-and-savory twist on the classic is a delicious new way to enjoy an old favorite. —Shauna Havey, Roy, Utah
Recommended: Slow Cooker Recipe-a-Day for September
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 small green apple, peeled and diced
- Minced chives
- Prepare cornbread according to package directions and bake using a greased and floured 8-in. square baking pan.
- Cool. Reduce oven setting to 375°. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until deep golden brown and caramelized, 30-40 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pour 1/4 cup barbecue sauce over chicken; toss to coat.
- Cube cornbread. Microwave remaining butter, covered, on high until melted, about 30 seconds. Whisk in eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Add caramelized onions. Pour egg mixture over cornbread cubes. Add chicken, cheese and apples. Toss gently to combine.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8-in. square or 1-1/2-quart baking dish; bake until bubbly and top is golden brown, about 35 minutes. Drizzle reserved barbecue sauce over bread pudding. Sprinkle with chives. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as BBQ Chicken and Apple Bread Pudding in Taste of Home April/May 2018
Reviews forBBQ Chicken and Apple Bread Pudding
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 25, 2018
"this was simply delicious!! I made a few modifications to match our diet (no dairy) but otherwise made it to the recipe. SOOOO delicious! my little one devoured it!"